0




After an impressive start to the season that has seen them win six games out of six in all competitions, Chelsea Ladies were handed more good news at the weekend when midfielder Ji So-Yun won the PFA Women’s Player of the Year award.

Speaking to the official Chelsea website, the South Korean reflects on a special personal achievement before stressing it should be the starting point for her and the team to achieve greater success this campaign.

‘I feel delighted to have won the award and I must thank all the staff and players who work with the team for helping me to win,’ she said. ‘It means a lot to me that other players have voted me the best player and it encourages me that I’m doing well.

‘It is an unforgettable memory for me which I’ll have for the rest of my life. To win in England, the birthplace of football, makes it very special for me.’

Ji’s win was the first time an Asian footballer, male or female, has picked up a PFA award and she reports that the news has gone down extremely well back in her home country.
‘It’s an honour to be the first Asian player to win this award in England,’ says the attacker. ‘It’s particularly meaningful to be acknowledged outside of Korea so it means a lot to me and hopefully I can use it as a springboard to improve and work harder.

‘The response back home in South Korea has been huge and everybody is very happy for me to have won the award. For Chelsea to win both the women’s and the men’s Player of the Year awards with Eden Hazard and myself means a lot to everybody and is a great achievement for the club.

‘We were sat at the ceremony on the table next to the first team so we were all supporting and cheering each other. I hope we have more opportunities to get together and mix with the other male players again in the future.’





The 24-year-old was presented with the award by Emma Hayes and she reflects that her club manager has played a significant role during her time in England.

‘Emma played a big part in me coming to the club,’ states So-Yun. ‘I liked her vision of how the team should move forward in the future and her direction was very important to me. She’s helped me to adapt to English life and settle down here so she’s been a huge influence on me.’

The player pipped her team-mate Eni Aluko, who was runner-up in the players’ vote, to the big prize. Both players also featured in the PFA Women’s Team of the Year.

‘I was quite surprised that Eni didn’t win it. She’s a great striker and she deserves it but I’m sure she’ll win it in the future,’ explains So-Yun. ‘She was happy for me and said congratulations afterwards. The important thing now is for the team push on and become winners together as well.’

The quest for collective silverware continues in the coming days, with a semi-final tie in the FA Women’s Cup against Manchester City preceded by a home league meeting with Arsenal tomorrow evening [Thursday].

‘We’ve been training hard and we’re expecting a tough match in what is a big game for us. Arsenal are a very good team at the top of the table with us so it is important that we get a good result. We’re trying our best to finish as strongly as possible before the summer break,’ she explains.

Chelsea Ladies versus Arsenal takes place on Thursday 30 April at Staines Town FC, kick-off 7.30pm. Tickets are currently available to purchase online, priced £5 for adults and £3 for seniors and juniors.


Post a Comment

 
Top