0

 

Willian has received as many plaudits for his defensive work as he has his attacking qualities since joining the Blues in August 2013, but he reveals it is a new aspect to his game…

‘It was only when I came to Europe that I started thinking about my defensive work,’ the Brazilian said. ‘I have always been told that I am a creative player with lots of strength in attacking play but, since I arrived here, I have tried to develop the defensive side of my game and my marking and it is working for me.’

Willian arrived at Stamford Bridge from Corinthians, via spells in Ukraine and Russia with Shakhtar Donetsk and Anzhi Makhachkala, and has become a symbol of the high-pressing, high-energy game Jose Mourinho has adopted since his own return to Chelsea.

‘We try to regain possession as soon as we lose it, especially our attacking players,’ Willian explains. ‘If you regain the ball fast enough you can catch the defence off guard and that’s what the manager tries to express to us. We always try to recapture the ball as soon as possible.’

Loic Remy’s recent winner against Stoke was the perfect example, as Willian jumped on Asmir Begovic’s loose throw before feeding Eden Hazard, and the Belgian in turn laid off for Remy to stroke home and grab three valuable points as we march towards the Premier League title.
willian-making-of
Willian was speaking in the May edition of Chelsea magazine, available in stores and online now…

Post a Comment

 
Top